Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Computrainer Threshold Test

I love, love, love numbers!  It gives me something to kind of understand when it comes to athletics. I NEVER run or swim or bike without a Garmin!  That's why I jumped at getting the Garmin 910XT.

I actually can't even believe I spent an entire first triathlon season with NO swim numbers to analyze. *

*I don't really understand most of the swimming data my Garmin captures but it's good to have anyways.

Apparently in Computrainer class we're supposed to be aiming for a certain power wattage.  This number is based on our max threshold.  I've been on a number of Computrainer ride but I'd never had my max threshold actually tested.

Lucky for me the Trimonsters had a threshold test during our normal Wednesday 7:30 p.m. class at FFC Lincoln Park.  We had to warm up for 15 minutes, then the test began, we pedaled as fast as we could for 20 minutes and then recovered for a few minutes before finishing out the 30 minute test.  Then we cooled down for 10 minutes.  The number that mattered was watts and the Coach recorded that number at the 20 minute point.  The last 10 minutes of the test we were supposed to try to match that number as best we could.

I'm terrible when it comes to biking.  I don't think I ever really full out sprint on my bike in the way I can easily do on the run.  Sometimes I just feel like my legs CAN'T spin ANY faster.

We hit the half way point of the test and I was at 117 avg watts which I think is really pathetic.  I mean it was definitely the lowest of everyone there.  The Coach said to try to add a few points this in the second half but warned that some people may have started out too fast so if that was the case then the goal was not to lose any points and just keep it the same.

Well for the last half I pushed as hard as I could and I actually started sweating (I never drip sweat on the bike or in spin class but can drip in yoga it's weird!) and I pushed the wattage to 144!   Oh, and did I mention I forgot my cycle shoes?  Oops!

Anyways, what does this mean exactly?  I'm still trying to figure that out, but apparently my max wattage right now is 137.  So for a long Saturday morning ride I'm supposed to aim for about 70-75% of that.  So 96-103 watts.  I think the last long Saturday morning computrainer ride I did I was hovering around 85 watts, so yeah I was slacking A LOT.

I'm excited to go to computrainer tonight and aim for 75%+.  I'll let you know tomorrow how I did!


No comments:

Post a Comment