Monday, November 10, 2014

Day 5: Gratitude Yoga Sculpt


This one was TOTALLY my fault for not really reading the class description well….

I had looked at the website for Gratitude Yoga I was excited to see that mats, etc would be provided.  Since this was a last minute decision to sign up for a yoga class after work it meant I wouldn't haven't to pay $1-$2 to rent a mat.  So I reserved the class and headed there after work.

At first I had trouble finding the place because there was a DANCE STUDIO where Gratitude Yoga was supposed to be….Oh turns out the yoga place is actually sharing a space with the Dance Studio. A Dance Studio with VERY LOUD music.

I checked in and filled out the normal waiver and was told I could grab a seat in the lobby.  That was kind of disappointing because I'm realizing now my favorite thing about yoga is the 10-15 minutes before class begins where I get to relax and let my mind go in the room while waiting for the teacher to arrive.

Did I mention that this studio was LOUD???  So, I waited in the lobby til about 2 minutes before the class was to begin and the instructor/owner showed us where the studio was except we still had to wait for the kid dance class to finish.

Once we were inside the first thing I noticed was how COLD the studio was!  Most yoga classes I've noticed even if they aren't advertised as being HOT still are pretty warm.  This studio was freezing and I was trying to figure out if I should wear my bulky hoodie or not (I didn't).

The studio did provide mats, towels, weights, etc.  I grabbed 2 lb weights as I've learned that those suckers can really feel HEAVY.

Anyways, the class was a mix of yoga, weights, and CARDIO!  The last thing I really want to do in a yoga class is burpees!  Now I'm still new to yoga, so I don't really get why Yoga Sculpt seems to be so trendy.  I just find it to be jarring to be in the middle of the different moves and then switch to burpees.

This class was hard (reminded me more of a barre class) and just wasn't what I really wanted.  Oh, and at first I thought the loud music blaring in class was from the dance studio but about 10 minutes into the class I realized it was OUR music.  I think I'd rather have NO music then loud rock music for yoga….

Despite the fact that I signed up for a class that really wasn't for me, I can't say I'd definitely sign up for class at Gratitude Yoga again.  I just didn't like the environment of the studio and I didn't find it calming at all.  I'm also not sure what I'd choose in a Yoga Sculpt vs. Barre Class option.  I'm not really a huge fan of either, but I get the feeling that Barre is more effect? (I could totally be wrong though!)

Let me know, am I crazy to compare Yoga Sculpt to Barre Classes?  Have you ever gone to some sort of Yoga Fusion class that you enjoyed?

No comments:

Post a Comment