Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Day 9: FFC Heated Vinyasa Flow

Because of ClassPass today was actually my first yoga class that I took at FFC (my actual gym).  I decided to take Heated Vinyasa Flow since it started at 10:15 which was right after my normal Saturday Computrainer Session.

The first thing I noticed was that there were a TON of yoga mats already set up in the class.  The only other FFC Yoga classes I have taken had like 5 people max.  To my surprise most of these yoga mats were filled with people!

I quickly went ahead and got two blocks and later the teacher told us to get blocks but then quickly realized there weren't enough.  I was glad I had gotten mine because I knew I needed them.

So the way the studio is heated is it's pumped full of steam.  It was REALLY humid in there.

I'm learning that I like warm yoga (and by warm I mean 85ish degrees) but anything approaching 100 degrees is a bit much for me.  I'm not sure how hot the room was but I definitely felt dizzy at times.

The teacher didn't use music which I didn't mind, but I have to say there was something grating about her voice.  She just wasn't very soothing.   I feel bad saying that though and don't really want to hold it against her.  But, I didn't fall in love with the class and not sure I'll make it a permanent part of my Saturday routine.

During Computrainer though I was very excited to ride the Ironman Muncie course!!!  I had heard the course was flat but I didn't quite believe it til I saw how EASY the course was!


Don't be fooled by the course profile on the Computrainer!!  Despite it looking like there would be a steady climb there really wasn't at all, I think most of that is like at .5 incline.  I biked 30 miles in under 2 hours.  

Since I had found out on Wednesday that my threshold was 137, I was told to keep my wattage at around 75%.  So that would be around 103.  Well, I ended up average over 120 for most of it.  Towards the end when I got really hungry I started slowing down but I still ended up with and average of 120.  

I plan to ride for at least 2 hours on Saturdays so I have to really start thinking about my bike nutrition.  I started taking Saltstick Electrolyte Tabs but I really haven't noticed much of a difference.  At right around 90 minutes I could feel my blood sugar dropping and I was REALLY REALLY grumpy. 

I hopped off the bike and looked through my bag and luckily found a granola bar from Trader Joe's.  I took that and also refilled my water and drank a bunch.  I managed to finish out the last 30 minutes.  Lemme say I was glad that I had planned to go to Yoga after.  Although in hindsight I sorta wish I had stuck around to ride the full course.  This was definitely the fastest I'd been on the Computrainer in a while!  

I'm really glad that now I have a goal in terms of the power wattage and I know what to shoot for.  I think riding the Muncie course was a good confidence booster for me.  Can't wait for the next Computrainer class! 

What's your favorite long bike fuel?  

No comments:

Post a Comment