Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Day 2: Yoga Six Stretch Class


I decided to go to Yoga Six Lincoln Park mainly because it's right next to the Regal Cinemas and I REALLY wanted to see a movie on Saturday!  I checked their schedule and Y60 Deep Stretch All Levels seemed like a good bet.  



I never stretch.  I know I'm supposed to in theory but I never do.  After a hard run the last thing I want to do is stretch.  And if I go to the gym to lift weights I'm too impatient and ADD to stretch before lifting.  Probably the only time I stretch is when they make you at the end of Spin Class (and I never feel like I need it!)

So I sort of timidly went to Yoga Six after my 105F Bikram experience the day before.  The girl at the desk was super friendly and totally eased all my worries.  I explained I was new to practicing yoga and that I was a triathlete and trying to protect my body while also rehabbing my injured ankle.  

The facilities are super nice, I'm always a sucker for a good locker room.  I didn't take a shower but it looked like it'd be super awesome.  Although I didn't see towels?  

The floor in the 2 yoga studios are cushioned and sort of bouncy but not really.  It wasn't a hard wood floor, it definitely had some give.  Their website says the flooring is made of Tatami.  Whatever it is I really like it.  

When I walked in the studio I saw that the instructor had already set an area for me and the one other girl with bolster, blocks, blanket and yoga strap.  Now THIS is my kind of yoga.  Gimme a pillow and blanket and lets lay back!  

This class was exactly what I needed and afterwards I felt really energized.  Some of the poses we held to the point of almost discomfort but none of the poses were particularly challenging.  A lot of opening up the hips/quads/hamstrings/back etc.  

Since there were only 2 of us in the class the instructor was able to make corrections on our form which I ALWAYS need.  My bio-mechanics are HOPELESS!!

I really enjoyed this class and definitely want to look into fitting this into my triathlon training schedule in the future!  

At the end of the class the instructor said that it was his first time teaching Y60Stretch but I didn't notice.  He seemed to know what he was doing and the whole class was paced nicely.  Also he always mentioned modifications (that I always need), and it made me realize that I can't take any class that DOESN'T offer modifications.

Will I be back?  DEFINITELY!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment