Wednesday, November 5, 2014

We're registered for IMOO!!!

We're going to be Ironmen!!!!!



After a debate that raged via text, fb messaging, in person chats, etc. Jamie and I FINALLY took the plunge!!!


Registration was at noon and we heard it'd be difficult to get in. We started refreshing our Active.com screens at around 11:55 a.m.   Funny thing is I think it took the race at least 2 weeks to sell out.  Part of the reason I think we decided to register was we didn't really think we'd be able to.

I didn't even want to register for IMOO!  I still don't!   The hills on the bike are a killer!!!  Has anyone read Unlikely Finisher 140.6??  LOVED the book but it didn't leave me wanting to sign up for the Ironman Wisconsin course!!  Or really ANY Ironman at all!!  

But the alternate plan was to do 2 Half Iron distance races in 2015.  So basically dedicate a butt load of training to two long distance courses and then wait until 2016 to attempt a first (only?) Ironman.   That meant two more years of commitment and honestly I didn't want to give that long of my time and dedication.  In 2016 will I still be signing up for races?  I hope so!  But that sounds like a good year to concentrate on PRing a 10K or even a sprint triathlon.  

I'm beyond scared of even starting this Ironman journey.  I had a terrible, terrible race at Steelhead 70.3 this past year.  If the 70.3 had the same cut off rules as the full 140.6 then I would have been pulled out during the swim.  And if they had maybe let me get away with being so slow on the swim, I think I might not have made the bike cut off either.  Heck, I finished within the cut off time of the ENTIRE race and they didn't even have a medal for me!  

Two months later and my dog was totally thrilled to be dressed as a Steelhead 70.3 finisher!!!


We're registered and there is no backing out now because the registration fee alone cost the same as one month's rent.  I'll be training through FFC's Trimonster and I couldn't be more excited!  Jamie is going to do her cycling classes through Chicago Endurance Sports.

The next few months the focus will be on maintenance and SWIMMING!!  I really want to focus on pilates/yoga/strength work.  I need to focus on my strength and not just my cardio (major mistake in the 2014 season for me).  

Anyone have any Ironman training tips for us????



1 comment: