Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Sometimes it's just tough to run alone!

I have to admit, I'm really really terrible about running alone, at least mentally.  Every few months I have a great run on my own but normally I just find reasons to dislike it, ALOT. 

Like in the summer it's always the heat and in the winter it's always the cold.  During the summer I just tell myself to run to the next water fountain and then I can have a little break. 

Water fountains are off in the winter :( So I usually make myself run a mile and then I take a break.  If there are any runners that pass me during my "break" I always get concerned glances.  I know they are thinking who just stands there resting in 25 degree weather??! 

Summertime park benches are REALLY inviting but I usually at least settle for stretching a bit, so as not to seem extremely lazy. 

But if I'm running with friends all the miles are so so easy!!  I always finish running with such a great high.  I LOVE RUNNING AND I LOVE MY FRIENDS!!!

So why is running alone so gosh darn hard for me?? 

I honestly really don't know.  Even the happiest days makes it hard for me to keep positive thoughts in my brain.  And the competitive part of me always wants to run faster than the Garmin is telling me I am but without a friends pace to match it's just really hard to push myself.   And sometimes I don't even really think that I could push harder. 

So yeah today I was coming home from running errands and I realized even thought it was 24 degrees out that the sun was shining and it would be REALLY REALLY nice to go for a run.  So then of course I procrastinated.  I mean Hulu had a new episode of Selfie AND Jane the Virgin??!! 

And this guy wanted some attention.  Turns out he had an overgrown toe nail and it was a struggle just to get him to let me hold him in order to cut it off!

But yeah just after 5 p.m. I headed out to run.  Decided to run South and thought maybe I would see some Zoo Lights at Lincoln Park Zoo.  If they were up yet I didn't notice them, I stayed on the outer Lakefront Path. 

I got my 4 miles done.  But it was WORK. 

How about you?  Do you find it tough to run alone or do you prefer it?

No comments:

Post a Comment